I want to build a small blockchain based on EOSIO and I want to conserve disk space on some nodes.

I don't need full history on the light nodes, just the current state of the blockchain which is in RAM. Can I delete the blocks.log file from time to time on a regular basis to free up disk space on my light node to make it lighter? Is there any recommended way or RPC call to do this?

Does this limit the ability of the node in anyway? I know it won't be able to transmit old blocks to other nodes that need to sync but I don't care for that as there will be other nodes with the full blocks.log file. Is there any other use to the blocks.log file in the EOSIO software?

Possible duplicate of this unanswered question

2 Answers 2


Seems like there's an executable called blocklogtrim in the makes that let's you truncate block.log files.

  • No official support and not merged into master but maybe worth a look.
  • Thanks for the find, looks spot on, I will dig into that!
    – Ami Heines
    Apr 27, 2019 at 4:32

I would look into EOS Rio's Hyperion Solution for producing a light full history node. This could help achieve your goal of reducing the node's storage requirements.

From their announcement:

Changing format and cutting data redundancies reduces database size in about 85%, from almost 5 Tb to approximately 650 Gb. To further improve performance we engineered a multi-threaded indexer that extracts data from the state history plugin and makes it possible to ingest the complete EOS blockchain in approximately 72 hours with proper hardware optimization, while the current solutions can take weeks.




  • This is interesting but I want something more extreme - no history at all in my lightweight node, throw it out the window. Keep just the current state in RAM. Is that possible?
    – Ami Heines
    Apr 25, 2019 at 14:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.