I will start with the description, which I think is correct. I am not sure about all the steps, so please clarify/correct as much as possible :)
If the chain wasn't started yet, and I have some EOS ERC20 tokens, then I need to register my tokens.
- I need to make sure, to save my private key, which will become an owner key to my account
I need to wait for an announcement of snapshot(s) (there can be multiple chains. Each chain may announce their own snapshot)
For each chain/snapshot:
I should look up what account name was generated and assigned to my public key, which I get during tokens registration, for example in snapshot like this, 2nd column contains
I can use generated account, and for security reason generate owner key, upload public-owner key.
- Using generated account, I can create another account, with more user friendly name, knowing, that there are restrictions about possible name.
If I had ERC20 EOS tokens and I haven't register them and it is already after a snapshot, then those tokens will be stuck in limbo.
If I acquired some EOS-ish tokens (from any chain) on exchange, after chain was already launched
- Then I need to first create named account, before withdrawing then tokens from the exchange
- I cannot create an account without help from some other person or some 3rd party service, because "To create an account we always need a parent account which will create the new one."
- Another user/service will be able to create an account for me (I will not have to expose my private keys. I can generate keys on my own, and only provide public keys, which will need to be attached to my future account). The cost of such account will be determined by the network.